If you google, you'll find many definitions and it's confusing. But what data science really is?
What can data do?
- Data can describe our current state.
- It can be accomplished through dashboards and alerts simplifying time intensive reporting techniques with new data technologies.
- It can help detect anomalous events
- If we have data on what has happened previously, we can increase efficiency by automatically detecting a new event on what is expected.
- Diagnose the cause of observed events and behaviour
- Rather than determining correlation between small number of events, data science techniques help us understand complex systems with many possible causes
- Finally, data can predict future events
- We can use new techniques to take various causes into account and predict potential outcomes.
- Further we can evaluate the probability of our prediction mathematically to clarify the level of uncertainty.
The data science workflow
- Data Collection
- Exploration & Visualization
- Making Predictions